20th HiRSE Seminar
Abstract: A basic understanding of software licenses and related topics is necessary for RSEs to successfully publish their research software from the legal point of view. Typical questions are: What license should I use for code, documentation, or data? Can I combine this specific set of software licenses? How to document this information?
This talk gives an overview about the copyright and software license basics. Using an example of a data analysis script written in Python, we go through the process of clarifying all relevant aspects and documenting them in a practical way. In this context, we introduce REUSE SOFTWARE which provides a standardized approach to document copyright and license information as well as helpful tools.
The talk will be held online. The connection details will be posted here:
- HiRSE_PS-internal HiRSE Mattermost channel,
- HIFIS Mattermost channel,
- Helmholtz Open Science Mattermost Channel
- FZJ-internal #rse Rocket.Chat channel,
- de-RSE mailing list and de-RSE Mattermost channel,
- Helmholtz Open Science Pro Mailinglist
- RSE mailing lists of the HiRSE partners (if any).